Thursday, October 07, 2010

Caging Fire or Stove Bondage or...

One of the many 4oth birthday gifts to me from me was a wood-fired pizza oven. I suppose it is more accurately a wood fire oven that in addition to firing up amazing pizzas can be used to cook loads of other fare. I have mostly just cooked pizzas.

I ordered a kit from Wildwood Ovens, a local company(Eagle Rock) that makes these amazing kits, can't recommend them enough. Anyhow, I had "professional" masons install it, as well as do some other jobs. At the time I was thrilled with their work and professionalism, I mean they even called me when we were in Paris to let me know they weren't going to be by that day. They got the job done on time and on budget and cleaned up after themselves. I was so ready to recommend these guys, except everything is falling apart, including the pizza oven.



The chimney had no structural support. It lasted without incident until my father leaned on it and it cracked. During a game of hide and go seek the chimney and one agile child took a tumble.




Note the banged up top vent. After much ado I was able to locate a wonderful metal worker who made a structure support to keep this tower from tumbling down again.



I made a crazy cardboard template, which he used to a certain extent. He came over a couple of times, good think his shop is just like 15 minutes away.





The end result is both practical and visually appealing.



This chimney's not goin' nowhere. Wait double negative. It's not going anywhere.






Wonderful attention to detail.

The never ending adventure that is home owning.



0 comments: