Monday, April 20, 2009

The LA Marathon, 33 days and counting; Lakers 1 down, 15 to go and a bunch of radishes

Saturday morning brought again the "long run", this time we ran somewhere between 17 and 18 miles, a bit faster and with less effort than last week's 16 mile run. It was also hotter and with that and the added miles I collected more blisters, including a very large odd looking one on my left pinky toe. It sort of looks like someone tried to fatten up my little piggy gone to market. I was a bit worn out but very satisfied with the results.

I did some gardening which included harvesting two pots of radishes, so yummy. I had never been a big fan of radishes but amazingly one's own harvest adds to the flavor of the
vegetable itself.







Later that day or rather evening, I ended up watching the Ultimate Fighting Championship 97. It was after the UFC 3, so many years ago when I took up BJJ. It was interesting to see how much the sport has changed. Much shorter rounds, the athletes have become much more skilled and well-rounded in the various mediums, and the level of athleticism has increased. Of course watching men try to beat each other up no matter how artfully usually goes hand in hand with chips and beer and usually too much of each.

Sunday I gardened as best I could given how sore I was from the run and the evening before and that our garden is bountiful with morning sun, meaning that it is scorching by 8 in the morning and unbearable by 9.

12 noon--Lakers face off against Utah Jazz in their first game of the playoffs. The Lakers won 113 to 100. I must admit it wasn't much of a game but we did win and is the play-offs and most importantly I watched it with good friends. Oh and Cindy made a pitcher or two of Bloody Marys which erased the ill effects of night before only to pay doubly for the pleasures in the late afternoon.


Juijitsu and Park day Monday---HOT HOT HOT

Took off out the door 6 am for an hour plus of hills in Kenneth Hahn. Great run wish I had left even earlier.

0 comments: