Monday, April 13, 2009

Did Easter happen?

What an odd and disjointed few days I've had. Good Friday gave Cindy the day off but she ended up working a little bit each day of her three day weekend simply to stay afloat. Meanwhile Skye and I worked on the garden, getting seeds in the ground, weeding, what have you. Also I shredded/chipped three or four barrels of clippings, weeds, and yard/plant stuff. A lot of it was dry and it ended up making a cloud of debris which coated my lungs. Then I decided to "feed" the worms from the rotting bin of kitchen scraps. Gnats swarmed from the bin, I enhaled more than a few which added to the layer of unnatural coating inside my lungs. This is all unfortunate in any case, but because I am to run my "long" run in the morning it is doubly so.

I will get back to the bad run up to my run, but a bit of back story is needed. Skye and I are using the ongoing Renaissance Faire as a teaching aid. This Easter Sunday kids were free and adults get $10 with a coupon, so we determined that it would be a good day to go. Cindy opted out but another family went and we all had a lovely time. But still Skye wanted and Easter egg hunt, with clues this year, so that would have to be on Saturday morning because she was having a sleepover on Saturday evening so Cindy and I could go to at least one of the two parties we were invited to.

I remembered the implications of all this at around 3 am Saturday morning, realizing that if I was going to make a clue sheet, hide eggs and make it to my 3 hr, 16 mile run I would need to get at it post haste. Of course I was concerned about the lack of sleep that meant but it seemed like a small price to pay.

Saturday morn, clues were conceived, eggs and such hidden, and I was gearing up for my run early in the morning, duct taping and vaselining up my already blistered feet. Luckily, I had an upbeat running partner who helped make our 16 mile jaunt feel much less arduous than Tuesday's 14 miler.

I should have at this point rested but ended up gardening a bit more and doing the school part of the Renaissance Faire. It was a really amazing part of history and so much happened.

And then Skye was off to her sleepover and we were off to cocktail parties.

There was really wonderful food and I hope that I didn't appear to be to pig like, but I was hungry from the 3 hr run. So I ate a goodly amount.

At the Faire I figured I had burned plenty of calories the day before and on top of a couple practically madatory pints of Guiness, I indulged in fried oysters and spicy sausage and ice cream.

I had not expended enough energy to balance out my gluttony, but it sure tasted yummy.

0 comments: