Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Yosemite Roads-A Pictorial Journey

On The Road


When I first booked our stay in Yosemite, I assumed we were staying in the valley. I thought the rest of the park was closed for the winter season. It is not and we were not staying in the valley. I say this because it was my intent to get to the hotel, park, use the park's shuttle service and not drive until we were ready to leave.

What to they say about the road and good intentions?



The Prius the morning of our adventure. Will it start? It didn't in Mammoth a week earlier. Fortunately I had the foresight to put the chains on the day before when it was sunny and relatively dry.



There's the road the morning of our adventure.



There's something nice about following a snowplow during a blizzard, until he pulls of to plow the other side of the road going back to where you started.



Then you're left with this.

Beautiful, but a little daunting when you're in a tin can of a car not particularly good at handling the weather.



As we gained elevation visibility decreased and the clouds became more ominous.



Having been down this road somewhat recently I know what is over the side of the road. Let's just say it's a long way down and makes for amazing views when the clouds aren't there. Hey but at least there's a snow plow leading the way.



The icicles were gorgeous.



There were icicles hanging from inside the tunnel as well.



I love this tunnel.



A few seconds after I shot this a huge icicle, were talking a three-footer at least fell in the middle of the road around fifty feet directly ahead of us.

A little scary.



The raven was just hanging out laughing at the tourists.



And the journey continued and well more pics







We made it home of course, but I did end up driving this road in the dark which had fewer photo-ops and was a little nerve-racking.

As a little footnote, the Prius while handling this day quite well did not start the following morning.

0 comments: