Sunday, June 06, 2010

Lightning in a Bottle --Part 1


Lightning in a Bottle

The website read, "The Festival will be open from Friday May 28th at 7am until Monday May 31st at 5pm." Add to that, that the eco-workshops I was most interested in would be conducted on Saturday, and most importantly, (and subconsciously), we were swamped with more things on our To Do List at home, than is humanly possibly on even the best of days. So the obvious answer would be to cut our loses and catch the festival next time around.

So we "obviously" didn't take the easy approach and got day passes for Sunday, arriving around 11 am wide-eyed and bushy tailed, ready to enjoy the festivities.

Very early into it, we realized that the vast majority of the people were there for the entire weekend which under different circumstances in a different phase of my life would certainly be the way to go. What that meant, was that most people were still up from the night before or were just waking up.

When a topless woman calmly strode past us, I knew the lessons Skye would be learning were not the ones I had anticipated.

Let's see...Skye's comment, my response.
  1. After the aforementioned female passed, "Um, that was awkward" "Think of it like a sculpture at an art museum, " A twisted look that meant either, "At this stage in my life I am uncomfortable with that as well or Dad, that wasn't a statue" to which I countered, "The human body can be very beautiful and the whole notion of modesty and covering it up is unnatural man-made construct" That didn't go over well either.
  2. "I think that guy is gay, cause he just keeps pointing at you not me or mom" in regards to the stilt-walker in purple fuzzy leggings dancing to rave music at 11:30 am. Me, "I don't think it's necessarily a gay thing"
  1. The above conversation continues, "OK, I think he's drunk" "At this time in the morning, with that kind of energy, I don't think it's just alcohol." "What do you mean?" A brief and cautionary explanation of recreational drugs. "I am never doing drugs" I think the disco-dancing-sexually ambivalent stilt-walker was a bigger deterrent that 100 "Just Say No" ads
That all happened in the first 30 minutes.



Skye, still getting the lay of the land and not so sure of the whole thing.




High energy music blaring away before noon, I would hate to be that DJ

As we tramped on through the dust and heat, wondering if this was such a good idea after all, I spied a very cool-looking metal human hamster ball type contraption.



"Whoa, check that out that looks so cool" and I hurried us along toward the object of my fascination.

As we got closer, it looked like our friend/aerial arts instructor Leslie. I knew she might be at the festival (Facebook update) but what were the chances of actually running into her, given the length of the event, the hundreds of people and the physical acreage.(When we did try to reconnect with her later and knew where and when she was going to be there, couldn't find her)



Leslie getting a quick tutorial. I had meant to talk to the guy and give the thing a spin, but timing and various distractions wouldn't have it.

That begins to give you an idea of the event;

Hour 1...
We were there until just before midnight..
More to come

0 comments: