Sunday, May 16, 2010

Fooling Myself Out of Shape

Over the last several weeks/months, I have been gearing up to really get in shape, to get serious about fitness, to get that shredded and ripped "beach" body, six-pack abs and all, minus the tan of course.
And not to beat myself up too much, I did run the LA Marathon, (the last of four marathons I had finished in the course of the last 18 months), I ran that Warrior Dash, 3 mile obstacle course and I was flying around with Skye doing aerial arts a couple of times a week, and as "out of shape" as I always claimed to be, my level of physicality was never my undoing in Jiu jistu.

For being in my forties, hell for any age, I would considered "fit" or "in shape".

But I was planning on being more than just average or even just above average and yet I was not and have not been realistic or consistent to that end, respectful of what it takes to achieve those goals. I was coasting along, maintaining at best, sliding back here and there.

It is why in the last LA Marathon rather than going sub-4 or at least getting a personal record, I had my worst time, literally and figuratively of any of those 4 marathons. It's why the Warrior Dash punished me rather than me eating up the course. It's why although I have been able to keep my weight consistent, my doughy mid-section has remained contour-less, more keg than six-pack.

So I eased into a new work out regime/mind-set yesterday and finally "worked-out". I have to work out the details and goals, but I have definitely decided that my little to no effort, resting on my laurels approach isn't getting my where I want to be.

I want to be closer to the top, above "just-above-average". And you can't coast uphill.

That said "ripped beach-bod" here I come, just in time for summer. And of course, have FUN getting there.




I'm serious this time......................

......................

........................................ really, I am.

And don't to forget, to check out the new blog/website www.functionalfitnessdiy.com. Currently it is simply the FUNctional Fitness posts from this sight, but it is growing and gearing up to be much, much more.

0 comments: