Saturday, February 13, 2010

Our First Eggs!!!!

We've had our chickens for a while now. And they have been a bunch of fun and getting bigger and stronger and wackier as time goes by. However, while they have shown me how much chickens can eat and what a varied diet they have,( devouring left overs, table scraps and pretty much anything we toss out to them, true-green garbage disposals,) they have not done any producing, save the goodly amount of "fertilizer" they s--t out.

I know that they produce less in winter months, sometimes stopping completely, so I was ready to wait until spring, before deeming them non-egg makers, which will pretty much make them a fryer, although I don't know if that is an option due to Skye.

But then out of the blue, and maybe because it was the first long sunny day after a bunch of rain, I found an egg in each nesting box.



I think they are from the same bird, but can't be sure.
Both were cracked because I had taken the straw out and added it to the rest of the straw in the coup to keep them a bit warmer because of the recent extra chilly evenings.




Now for sure none of these birds will be for meat. Saved by the bell or the egg rather.





The yolks are an amazing deep yellow practically orange and oh so delicious.




They did manage to find a way out and then ravaged a few planters that I had recently added a couple of little plants to. Oh well. A small sacrifice I suppose.

So this weekend will be full of chicken coup cleaning, adjustments, roof and ramp building and escape-proofing. Also will be making more panels to protect the vegetable beds and making some electric heated germination beds.

It'll be an agri-structure President's weekend for sure.

1 comments:

Theresa said...

Egg-celent!!