Saturday, September 12, 2009

Rat Palace

Ok, this goes back to last weekend which is forever and a day ago now miles and hours away, so my recollection and retelling will be stunted and perhaps odd, but it would have been as well had I told story day of.

I had just unloaded my recent bounty of magazines and books and was so excited to just immerse myself when I went into Skye's bedroom and had a completely different sort of immersion experience.

First her room stunk of rats. Gross!!! I was going to fix this problem once and for all.

As I started in on the project I began to realize the extent of the rat's problematic cage and all it carried with it.



They had chewed through the original plastic bedding tray and had made good work on the furniture below as well as escaping in the process. I had dealt with this in the past by hammering out a custom sheet metal tray myself, slicing open my finger in the process. I had since found and purchased a cage designed for chinchillas that had a tray of the right size. I would have loved to simply use that chinchilla starter cage but the width of the wires were just wide enough for the rats to slip the heads through and probably end up choking to death. While this would certainly resolve several problems, in this particular case the end would not justify the means.



I ended up shop vacuuming Skye's room, cleaning the carpet, Lysoling the walls and furniture inside and out, throwing everything from the dresser into the washing machine, basically hours of work on just gettting one corner of her room, the rat's corner up to first world standards. I suppose because for the second and third world's rats are pests not pets.

Then I addressed the cage itself.




This is almost the final version. The subtle but very important difference is the plexi front panel. This one allowed for easy access to food trays and the front cage opening but they still ended up throwing bedding and food all over the place through said easy access openings.



It is difficult to see the front panel because it is so clear but you can make out the small bungee cords holding it in place in the upper corners.

I ended up taking the pan and one section of flooring from the chinchilla cage, as well of several of their recreational diversions, cutting and painting a plywood base that I would attach and secure the whole unit, drilling and bolting together the plexi pieces I had previously cut, replacing the old plexi cut out, with a larger clear panel and finally making a new hammock for them to sleep in.




They seemed to like the new hammock.



This and the cleaning took the better part of my weekend. But the results were well worth it.

The room smelled fresh and clean. The rats were completely contained and happy with their new home.




The rats are smart but I can't imagine training them to use a litter box, although I have heard of it being done. They will be clean when given the option.


And a few short/long days latter the whole kit and kaboodle got shipped over to a friend's house while we embarked on our road trip.

0 comments: