Tuesday, August 11, 2009

What a difference a day makes

Or more like a day and a week....
Last Saturday I ran 10 miles all the time cloaked in a dense marine layer fog. It was cool and made for a relatively easy run. So when I geared up on Sunday, I decided to take half as much water as the as the week before. Last week the water itself weighed 7lbs and sloshed around the whole time, and I had more than half of it left over, so this time out I took much less water.





Last week I could barely make out the fence much less the mountains in background.


Photo Ops
More like photoOoops, I was taking pictures here and there and sometimes when I'd stop I would stop my timer. Well one time I ended up forgetting to start it back, so I ended up doing and out and back instead of a loop so that I could figure out how far I ran. I could figure out the overall time by my start and finish times.

14 miles 2 hr. 49 min. So pretty much on pace. I added a third of the distance and it took around a third longer. Not bad especially considering how much sunnier it was.





Last week you could see maybe 20 feet past the sign.




I ended up running to the other side of that mountain on the right.




Of course that also means you have to run back. That last picture is take from the trail that cup the left side of that mountain.



I knew there were beautiful views to be had.

If I can run 5 miles every hour, well that has me finishing a 50 mile run in 10 hours which is 2 hours before the cut off.

Of course I know that the first 20 miles for a marathon are pretty painless for me, it's that last 6 particularly miles 22-25 that are almost unbearable. How that translates to 50 miles on hills and trail, I am scarred to surmise.

0 comments: