Friday, April 25, 2008

Cindy's Return; What a difference a week makes


I decided to make good use of my time while Skye and Cindy were gone for the weekend. So I worked on the Koi Pond which lead to needing to organize the garage. Along the way I thought to really surprise Cindy by updating the TV room. I also found a great bargain on some dumbells to improve on the home gym so that once the back-breaking/building landscape project was done I'd still be able to get my exercise.

I was also going to expand the worm farm operation.

So Skye's home school included construction, electrical, masonry and organizing. Actually I did a bulk of this work at night or before she got up in the morning. We still made it to park days and things like Jui jitsu, Flute, Tae kwon do, etc. And the worm farm became part of her upcoming Super Duper show and tell.

It was a hectic week and a half.

The Koi Pond



Surrounding it with cement so I could lay a brick border.




The never ending concrete pour.





Cutting all of the brick just so was a chore, especially when it happened to be at the height of the heat wave. Brick dust at 90 degrees, yuk.




Figuring out how to get the stone bridge secured and just right.




Even though the slab was more than two inches thick and the guy at the stone place said it could make the span I added a steel support underneath. If it did crack it would be a huge disaster. So better safe than sorry.




Hurray!!!! One project complete. The pond is up and running, a filtration system, lighting, plants, and of course Koi along with some other fun fish and tadpoles.

I still have to finish the pathways with my pebble mosaic project, but that will be for latter.

The Garage

Before:

What a mess and a hell of a lot of stuff.












This is what one ton of pebbles look like. I bought it probably a year ago for an amazing mosaic I was going to do. I still haven't gotten to that project yet. I will, but for now I need to consolidate the pebbles over to the side so we can actually use the garage.

After







It's not perfect. There still a lot of organization but now we can use 2 out of the 3 doors and Cindy can fit her car in, although just barely.




The worm farms beginning to work their magic.

The TV room

I decided to make some room by replacing the hulking 65" TV with a projection. I got a little Epson Movie Mate. It was remarkably simple to set-up and adjust and very clear. And the image is HUGE!




This is where the old TV was an the new projector with the lights on.




Lights off and check it out. Good thing the Lakers are winning.

Go Lakers!!!!!!

Kobe MVP!!!!!!




I added to our humble little home gym with the rack and dumbells. Still need to move the TV. I left it there in case Cindy rejected the whole thing and wanted life back to the way it was.




The TV actually doesn't overwhelm the room as much as I thought it would. Although it takes an over-the-top Master Suite further over the edge.

Along the way the DVR stopped functioning, it was on it's last leg. I also looked into bundling our communication/entertainment services. So currently we are waiting for the dust to clear. But look forward to some upcoming Laker nights and movie nights, maybe even some Karaoke.

That all for now must catch up with everything else in life I pushed to the side to surprise Cindy on her return.

BTW, she was very surprised. It took a few days for her to fully accept what had happened.

0 comments: