Tuesday, September 07, 2010

An interesting (?) Labor Day

Skye started taking a beach volleyball class in Hermosa, where we then had a lovely little brunch before having to say good-bye to lovely Cindy who was off to Chicago.

After I tried to find The Fellowship of the Ring to download from both the LA and Santa Monica, only to find that there was a long wait for it, I decided that we might as well watch the movie, since we have the DVDs.

Skye liked it so much that we decided to do a double-feature. Midway through the Two Towers, we heard sirens real close to home and a police helicopter over our house. I got up on the roof to get a better look and realized that was not the place to be. When I got down and looked outside the front window, what I saw I couldn't believe.

Around a dozen LAPD guns drawn aimed at my next door neighbors house.



Room with a View

For the next half hour, the helicopter circled above while a bullhorn demanded that everyone come out of the building with their hands up.

The neighbors were having a Labor Day BBQ. It was quiet and I would barely have known there was a party except for all the cars parked outside.

Finally a very freaked out group of people ranging from baby to seventy something, filed out and were marched down the street to be detained as things got sorted out.

As it turned out it was practically a case of mistaken identity, rather a pissed of girlfriend, sister of girlfriend, or something. Really hearsay and rumor, but the whole affair was pretty intense and I felt really bad for the neighbors.




When this guy threw some shells in in his shotgun and a group of around a half-dozen officers marched into the house I thought we were in for a shoot-out. Thankfully nothing happened.

Crazy labor day.


0 comments: