Thursday, August 26, 2010

Farmer's Markets #1

Farmers' Markets of Southern California

I've been trying to shop more and more at Farmer's Markets(FM), for a number of reasons, not least of which I enjoy the experience. I always mean to write a post after the visit, because there are always photo-ops, good tales to relate, links, etc. etc.

The markets are like living things, they have different characteristics, they change with the seasons and with the participants, both vendors and buyers. And I wanted to share my experiences and thoughts. Instead I've ended up with lots of pictures on my computer and camera, tons of anecdotes, in my head or told to friends, and more amazing meals than I can remember. (Might be why the diet isn't working). So rather than wait until I put together a well thought out compilation or start from scratch and just post on FM excursions from this point forward and am gonna just do a random series.

Here goes:



Santa Monica Main Street Farmer's Market

Farmers Markets can be pretentious and expensive. The FM on Main Street in Santa Monica on Sundays, so far takes the cake.

"The ULTIMATE community gathering place in Santa Monica.
Great for family, food and fun!"
That's from their website. But it does make from some great people watching and funny stories as well as some lessons in humility and introspection.






I'm all for this concept, but the realities of it are bit different. I've had one of those "compostable"
bags in my compost pile for months now with little sign of decomposition. Granted, it is a much better alternative to plastic and it will degrade under proper conditions.

Shoe Envy
It would figure that it is at this market that I spot the shoes that I have been craving.



Not one pair, but two, his and hers.



The Vibram Five Fingers, oh la la. P.S. I finally got some, more on that latter.




The scene, to see and be seen.

The main draw for me with this market is it's brunching potential.


I'll often start out with some fresh shucked oysters from Carlsbad Aqua Farm.



The favorite of the family are the crepes. Yummy yum. Savory with salmon.



Or sweet with hazelnut chocolate.

Of course, while we're at the FM we pick up something that the farmers have brought.




Skye's putting together the just right combination of leafy greens.



Eating local is easy in Southern California.




Okay, not so local. But chocolate, forgo chocolate to be a localvore, a local what?



Something for everyone, even cats get fresh organic catnip.




There's music which tends to vary from ok and bearable to annoying, which is unfortunate cause there's so much good music out there.



Fun stuff to buy for the kids with parents that have money to burn. (A little on the snarky side I know but...)



And ponies for the kids. So maybe everyone doesn't love the FM. The poor ponies must go around in circles for hours after hours. How green is that?




And what kid-centric gathering would be complete without animal balloons?

But wait what is that in the background?



Bicycle Valet Parking, for real.




Can you imagine having your car towed for bike in the bike valet zone?



But at least it gets people on their bikes. What ever it takes, check out all those bicycles.





0 comments: