Sunday, October 11, 2009

Hiding in Plain Site

What a Difference a Week Makes
A week ago, I was posting from a motel in Texas. I went to the major chains at first, the rates were "fair" and typical and to me overpriced, but we persisted and found a family run joint. The receptionist was Indian(from the country of India not native American), pregnant with a toddler constantly underfoot, with a thick Texan accent. Her husband, also Indian meanwhile was on the phone with another guest helping them connect to the internet. We were still wet from the drenching we received the night before in Dallas, but I realize, I am jumping ahead of myself.....


Leaving Family, Finding Family
The above description of just one of our on-road, cross country experiences that could not have happened until recent years helps illustrate the changes that are happening right now and the implications are ????? We really can't and don't know.
,
We awoke early on Oct. 2, a Friday. Our wonderful host, "Breezy"(I still am struggling with the who's and what's to blog when including people's beyond myself and very immediate family, and even with that I must always weigh my boundaries), a friend I have worked on more films with than anybody except Cindy, was still asleep and I opted to let him sleep in.

Skye and I retraced our steps as it were and headed east from Shreveport to bag another "High Point". After several missteps we found Louisiana's highest point, a mud soaked tramp to Driskill Mountain, elevation 535 ft.



Unlike yesterday's highpoint, Louisiana's claim to fame was incredibly well documented and well marked.



A well marked trail, that warns of false summits and gives detailed history of the property and "high point".



One more high point grabbed. Onto Dallas and our "BIG" race.

We cruised into the Big D, and headed downtown to what would be the start of our race. A rather cheesy, although completely warm and inviting semi-chain establishment, Dick's Last Resort. Yes the double entendres were constant and free-flowing. I had some of the local beer and then we went off on our recon mission.

Within minutes we hit up the Dallas tourist center for a bunch of maps and such and then we stumbled on the "Sixth Floor Museum" Kennedy had been killed here. It struck me like a ton of bricks. Skye and I discussed that event, Gandhi, the assassinations of RFK, MLK and Malcom X. And yes, the possibility of an Obama assassination. This was an incredibly rewarding turn of events as far as home school learning was concerned but unfortunately, we were losing light and needed to find a campsite and set up our tent.

Cedar Hill State Park

Texas has an incredible state park system, and Cedar Hill was no exception. Probably fifteen minutes from downtown Dallas, this park has it all and was an oasis for us. We pitched our tent and ventured into the environs which netted us with the audio text of Twilight at the local Barnes and Noble.

After listening to the first chapter of what would become Skye's obsession. We tucked in for the night. On the morn, we came upon a little biology lesson of camoflouge.





Nature amazes and yet too often takes second seat.

0 comments: