Friday, May 22, 2009

Set Decorator Society of America, Set Dressing and ME!!!

I haven't included much about set decorating in this blog because I started this blog at a time when I was really moving away from that as a priority or focal point in my life. Set dressing, set decorating, the film business, etc had pretty much consumed the better part of my adult life until fairly recently.

But it has again become a part of my life, so here is what's going on in that part of my life.

The Set Decorator Society of America


I joined the SDSA a few years back. Cindy had been an active member in its early years but had not been involved for a while. So on occasion we would make it to General Membership Meetings or cocktail parties and we would bring Skye along to the annual marketplace, which was always fun. Around a year ago, I was asked to be on the Executive board and my involvement has steadily been increasing. I am currently serving as the Vice-President and the Events Committee chair. I have been learning a lot and trying to give back to a field which has inspite of its ups and downs been pretty good to me.

Right now, we're looking forward to a General Membership Meeting, June 18th at Hollywood Piano, who we used quite a bit on Fame. Hopefully it will be well attended and fun.

Cindy and I are currently in the Spotlight on the SDSA website. It's mostly about me, so definitely check it out. It reminds me of how long I've been doing this.

Back on the Gang

Recently I have given up my union decorating card, so that I could have more flexiblility working as a shopper/buyer, set dresser, lead, props. I can still decorate non-union projects or commercials. In giving up my card and going back to propery, I had to take a bunch of safety passport classes that were ridiculously boring, sometimes scary, sometimes depressing. It was like having sit through a marathon Traffic School. But it definetly took me back to what it was going to be like to be "one of the guys" again. On the way home from my last class, 4 hours of Weapons Safety, I made a couple of work calls looking for dayplaying work as a set dresser, something I hadn't done in around 15 years.

Looking forward to the good ol' days.

0 comments: