Tuesday, May 13, 2008

SKYE; A Hero in Our Midst

This an awkward and strange post for me. My blog, Where in the world is Jon? is decidely about me and where I'm at be it physically or emotionally or whatever. And I try to be funny and self-deprecating, but where would I be without Cindy or Skye? I certainly wouldn't be where I'm at or who I am. That being said something happened this past weekend when I was not there, (Where in the world was Jon?) that has begun to sink in more and more and I feel I would be wrong and disingenuous by not including it in this blog. I am very proud of Skye and have been more than a little hesitant in posting this so I will let the words of others speak for me on this one. And I hope no one minds me reprinting their words, they are all dear and heartfelt to me.

"Yesterday we had quite a scare, but a happy happy ending. We were at a pool party and Sam got out of the pool (he just sits on the steps, he can't swim yet) and got dressed to have cake and ice cream. Us adults were sitting outside, next to the pool when Sam came walking toward me crying, soaking wet! He had fallen in, unknown to anyone taller than 5 feet. Luckily, Skye saw him at the bottom of the pool and went and got him herself! I just want to public acknowledge Skye as the hero she is! Needless to say, I have signed Sam up for private lessons, he will be swimming soon (before we get around another pool).
Thanks Skye for saving Sammy's life!

--
Patty, Mama to Joe (9) and Sam (5.5)"

"Jon, I'm sure that Cindy and Skye will tell you about Sammy's trip to
the bottom of the pool, but if they forget to mention it, be sure to
ask Skye. I am very, very thankful that Skye was right there in the
pool and able to act quickly. She probably saved Sam's life because
none of the adults saw or heard him fall in. The more I think about
it, the more I am thanking God that Sam is ok. It was a close call."
Theresa

Jon,

Skye would qualify for the Medal of Honor, one of the lifesaving awards. Details can be found
on page 148 of Safety Wise book which her leader will have. Her leader should
contact the
council for further information, because the local council will decide if she
should receive it.

This is worth pursuing. The medal is a big deal within Girl Scouts and Skye
deserves it.

Will you be at park day on Thursday? I can bring a copy of the details to the
park.

Take care,

Tyler
I am hugely terribly amazed and proud by Skye's actions. Love that kid

0 comments: