Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Pizza making a go-go

On my 40th birthday bash we fired up the pizza oven and did our best to make a few pizzas. A lot was going on, I was pulled in ten different directions, we had the grill going; it perhaps was not the best time to craft a fine pizza. That being said, we turned out a couple of OK, not so bad pizzas. Even though we got it fired up pretty hot, we never got it to the extreme heat we needed it at. (Sorry, no pictures)

The second firing, I definitely got it up to a huge heat, too huge. I could barely get the pizza in and off the paddle. It was charred almost before it came off the paddle. I singed my arms, but the pizzas were pretty yummy. (Again no photos)
Third firing, getting better. (Sorry no pics)

Meanwhile, I had been studying and reading about pizza-making. Purchased and perused, Pizza, A Slice of Heaven , very interesting history of pizzas. Also took a nice research lunch at Mozza, amazing pizzas, great wine, wonderful atmosphere, what our pizzas want to be... and came pretty close to at ....

Our fourth and latest pizza making night.
Yummy. yummy, yummy



Nice fire, hot, oven heat in the 900's F, oven floor at around 650F- 750F.
Pizzas took between 2 to 4 minutes to cook.
I can barely remember the various types of pizzas we made, busy tending to the fire and the turning and moving the pizzas.



Click to enlarge this photo and then check out the pizza. These were pretty close to perfect. By the way all this experimenting, great for the soul and taste buds, not so great for losing weight. Oh well, can't have it all.


Sondra, a fabulous guest.

Old, great friend Terrell and me


Max and me.



Charles and Sondra


Guests from Tokyo, amazing friend and filmmaker Deborah and new friend Taka.

0 comments: