Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Purple Belt-- A long journey

Years ago, like 1994, wow, that's almost 15 years ago, I saw the first Ultimate Fighting Championships on video and watched this skinny Brazilian Joyce Gracie beat guys of all sizes and styles doing this thing called Juijitsu, Brazilian style. There were only a couple of places in Los Angeles that taught such classes, one was the Gracie studio which as you can imagine was hugely popular and that of the cousins of the Gracie's the Machado brothers. I went to the Machado brothers and for years grappled and trained with many amazing fighters, many who went on to compete internationally in a variety of Mixed Martial Arts competitions.

When I would go on location or travel I would look for the local juijitsu studio to train. Having trained with the Machados guaranteed a open arms and respect at the various dojos I visited. They were and are quite famous in the Martial Arts community. I received my Blue Belt and continued to train, although with my work and travel schedule demands it was inconsistent to say the least. So my skill level plateaued with me losing the gains I made every several months. After many years I finally decided to hang it up and try some new sports.

I missed it a lot but I thought that after a while I would forget about it and it would just be part of my history. But I never really did. Then quite by coincidence, fate one might say a friend of mine had just finished working on the David Mamet film Red Belt, about MMA competitions starring one of the Machado brothers. I went on line to check it out and found that John Machado had a gym near the Fox Hills Mall, minutes from my house. I dug up my old Gi and went down to check it out.

That was a little over a year ago. I have been able to train more consistently, and have at long last pushed up my game to new levels, earning after all of this time my Purple Belt. It has been an amazing journey. The Machados and their students are very supportive, always encouraging and positive. I am very happy and proud to be part of the community again.



From left to right, Renato Magno, John Machado, Jon Danniells (me), Rigan Machado, Andre Lima


Skye has been taking Tae Kwon Do at the same studio and loves it and has just started studying Capoera. I think training in the martial arts provides amazing lessons far beyond the physical aspects and recommend it highly.

0 comments: